It’s not unusual for businesses to shutdown over Christmas for a week or two, but social media doesn’t know this, and a silent account over the festive period is a definite no-no.
Back in September, you may remember that I wrote a post about how to silence social to get a good night sleep, and with Christmas just around the corner, you’ll be wanting to do that (and more!). After all, you deserve a good rest too!
If you’re in marketing, you’ll know the dilemma that you face every year; how do you switch off for Christmas when social media is still on?
I’ve pulled together our golden rules that will help you keep control, whilst getting a good holiday rest:
- Plan and schedule content in advance – if you’re only just planning your Christmas content then, sorry you’re leaving it too late. However there’s still time to schedule your Merry Christmas and New Year posts.
Use a tool such as Buffer, Hootsuite or Sendible to schedule those posts for when you’re not in the office.
- Setup notifications – check your social media settings and ensure you have alerts setup. You can probably turn off the ones for ‘new followers’, but leave the more important ones checked. You never know.
- Take advantage of your phone’s ‘Do Not Disturb’ feature and silence notifications at unsociable hours. Read my step by step guide here to do this >
- Plan a rota – if you can help it, you don’t want to be spending all of your time checking social media accounts. Create a rota and share the responsibility for checking these accounts over the New Year.
- Tell people – Just as you set your ‘out of office’ on your emails, there’s no harm in doing the same for social media. Tell your followers / fans your Christmas office ours, as well as the times you’ll be checking social media. You can even pin these, along with a festive holiday message to the top of your profiles. Job done!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! 🙂