Over the last 12 months I’ve noticed that my wireless router was starting to struggle with the increasing amount of devices I was connecting to it. After seeing a number of adverts for the Virgin Media Superhub broadband I decided to give Virgin a ring and see what they could do. Up until this point I had been using a Belkin router (N1) and a Virgin Media modem which worked fine.
After speaking with Virgin Media I found out that I could actually save £3 per month from my monthly bill if I upgraded to the Superhub (with 50mb broadband).
The engineer arrived last week to install the box, it worked beautifully wired but I had problems connecting via Wi-Fi. My iPhone, iMac and laptop struggled to connect to the Superhub and when finally connected it would disconnect the devices within 5 minutes.
After a discussion with Virgin Tech support, we tried a number of advanced setting changes that finally worked. Problem solved.
This is what we did …
1) Get your routers address and login details from the back of the Superhub. The address will be something like http://780.442.22.1 and you’ll need to enter it on your web browser. Then login with the default details.
2) When this welcome page loads, click ‘Advanced Settings’ in red at the bottom of the screen.
3) Click on ‘Wireless Settings’ on the left hand side and the above settings will load. We simply set the Channel to 11 and changed the 802.11 mode to ‘Up to 145 Mbps.
4) Head over to ‘Services’ which can be found under the Content Filtering section in the left menu. We untracked Firewall as we were currently running separate software on all our computers.
After saving all the settings and logging out we had no problem connecting our devices and staying connected to the Virgin Media Superhub.
Hope this helps.